Sunday, April 4, 2010

Poem #2 April is Poetry Month Poetry on the spot project....

Poem # 2: In The Backyard

As I slither into your garden under sleeping
Lawnmowers, rubber balls, swimming pools,
I look for a hole to call home, a place of warmth
Away from neighborhood lights where worms
Squirms and toss and turn in the moist earth.
And I listen to their snores, come hither sounds
Meant to disrupt the flow of time at grounds end.
Before bed I crawl out and watch squirrels climb
The trees branches above to hoard their nuts, the
Crickets pounce on other insects for sustenance,
The lightning bugs turn themselves off and on
Again and again fluttering above the many fences,
And for once I don’t recoil in hopelessness and
Dismay as darkness sets in and all that is left is
Stars, humans and I up watching late night
Movies until we pass out in the beds of our
Own making….

by Micah Zevin 2010

No comments: